No fancy introductions, no examples, no pseudo talk. Let’s cut to the chase and list facts that prove we’re number 1 in racial discrimination:
- Our caste system is like a club sandwich, stuffed with layers and fat. It all started with Vaishya, Shudras, Kshatriyas, Brahmins and then spun out of control with Dalits, Baniyas, upper castes, lower castes, etc., crawwling out of the system. There are many sub-castes and sub-sub castes within any one caste system, and the whole damn thing is very complex.
Point is that almost every sub-caste has formed an unhealthy opinion about its own and other sub-castes and castes, and that’s something that’s raping our cultural fabric to shreds.
- India has 330 million Gods. Thank God(s), we don’t have as many religions, else there would be harakiri on the streets. But we have sub-religions that make people from a sub-religion hate others from that very same religion. Politicians add to the fire by provoking one group against the other and it does seem that things will turn much worse before turning around.
If you want to witness the caste-religion hues of India, just browse any Indian matrimonial website.
- We discriminate based on our own geographies. Marathis are ghatis, Biharis are labourers, Bengalis and Tamilians are parochial, Goans are lazy, Kashmiris are like Palestinians, Gujaratis are soft and unhealthy, Sardarjis are the butt of jokes, Manipuris are Chinkis, Keralites are infra-dig Mallus, and so on.
Though most of the region-specific discrimination was all fun and games to begin with, things have lately taken a nasty turn with the rise of violence against people of different demographics. North Easterners are bashed up and looked down upon, South Indians don’t like Punjabis, Tamilians don’t like Kannadigas because of water disputes, etc.
- Indians discriminate among themselves on the basis of their skin. We all want to be “fair and lovely” and dark skinned Indians are nicked Kaalia and looked down upon by the self-declared Aryans. Dark skinned females silently bear the brunt of this illogical racism.
- We kiss arse of all moneyed guys and look down upon people that are not that rich. Have you ever noticed how we fawn around a white skinned tourist (unless he’s a hippie) or a NRI? Yeah, Indians worship money and lick all moneyed arses. This is economic racism.
Nah, we don’t flock around blacks and browns from other nations.
- We also are international racists. White skinned females are ogled at, while caucasian males are respected and viewed with awe because of their “dollar-sholey.” Black skinned people (Afrikaans) are largely viewed as scammers or drug dealers. Migrants from a poorer country such as Nepal or Bangladesh are disrespected. The less said about Pakistanis the better.
- Indians also discriminate based on job profiles and professions. A call center employee is likened to a receptionist, a regular office worker is called a clerk, a vegetable vendor/plumber/mason is a mamooli insaan, a person who ports lunch boxes is a dabbawala, CA/Doctor are the elite class, and so on.
- Any Indian government enjoys tagging castes and tribes as EBCs, OBC, SC, ST, etc., and then passing on a specific set of benefits to each group, thereby creating disenchantment and discrimination. It’s like a tinderbox out there waiting to explode, the fuse’s already been lit.
- We discriminate based on sexual orientation. A gay man is a homo, a transgender is a chakka, a lesbian is nicked a gushti, and I don’t know the Hindi slang for a bisexual.
Any which way you look at it — economic, skin colour, caste, religion, affinity, official categorization, profession, sexual orientation, demographics — we are racist at the core.
The worrying news is that our politicians are doing nothing to erase the differences. Rather, they are busy fanning the fires.
Where will all this differentiation take us? In no man’s land, I’m sure. It’s just a matter of time. Till then, don’t stay thick-skinned — do something about it.
Powered by Facebook Comments