There are six different face shapes: Oval, round, square, oblong, heart-shaped and diamond-shaped.
Which one are you? Check this chart to figure out your face shape and jump to the relevant section.
Oval — Round — Square — Long — Heart-shaped — Diamond-shaped
Oval Face Makeup Tips
An oval face’s length exceeds its width. It is the perfect shaped face that has perfectly been contoured by God.
All that is to be done is to enhance its natural features. This can be done by applying bronzer on cheekbones, forehead and chin. There’s no need to change eyebrow shape too.
Minimal Contouring for an Oval Face
This face shape doesn’t need much contouring, but you can always define and accentuate your face by:
- Applying your regular foundation color. If you want to make your face appear a little shorter or thinner, you can apply foundation that’s one shade darker than your complexion.
- You also can highlight the center of your forehead and your chin if you want lookers to focus on these areas. Try highlighting your temples as well for an edgy look.
- To bring your cheekbones into focus, apply a darker shade of blush in the cheek hollows and apply a lighter shade of blush on your cheek apples.
- Do not over-pluck your eyebrows. Just work with your natural arch.
- Either emphasize your lips or your eyes. You’ll look overdone if you emphasize both.
Round Face Makeup Tips
A round shaped face is characterized by equal height and width. Therefore, your makeup regime must focus on creating an illusion of length. Here are some tips:
- To make a round face appear long, contouring is required. You can even apply a bronzer on your temple and below the jawline — this is a part of contouring. It makes your face look oval in shape.
- Don’t forget to highlight your forehead, chin and the area under your eyes. Doing so will take attention away from the center of your face. Use a highlighter that’s up to 2 shades lighter than your skin tone.
- To offset the highlighter, contour your face using a taupe shade.
- Finish the contouring by applying a translucent powder.
- If you do not own a contouring product, use a foundation that’s 1-2 shades darker than your complexion.
- You can add length to your face by applying blush on your cheek bones up to an imaginary line that runs horizontal at the end of your nose.
- Avoid applying blush on your cheek apples because that will accentuate the roundness of your face.
- Use a dark lip colour.
- Use sheer color eyeshadow.
- Curl your lashes to highlight your eyes.
Long Face Makeup Tips
This face is characterized by height that is greater than its width. There’s plenty of width to play around with and lots of new experiments can be performed. The idea is to shorten the length and broaden the width.
- Contouring the lower chin makes the face look shorter, while applying a blush on your cheek apples makes it appear wider.
- Apply matte bronzer along your hairline and at the bottom of your chin to shorten your face.
- After applying blush on your cheeks (see (1) above) apply a subtle highlighter to create an illusion of width.
- Light up your eyes (cat’s eye, vivid eyeshadows, false eyelashes) to divert attention from your long face.
Heart-shaped Face Makeup Tips
A heart-shaped face requires contouring the temples and with dark foundation to make the face appear less broad and more oval. Attention should be drawn to the center of your face by applying darker foundation. Dark red lipstick looks super on such face shapes and the eyes too must be well made up. Here are a few tips:
- Apply foundation that is 1-2 shades darker than your complexion to the top of the forehead and temples. It makes your forehead appear slimmer and in proportion to your chin. Blend it well and create shadows that look natural.
- Highlight your cheekbones and your eyes by applying concealer or a lighter foundation shade on the cheekbones. This will bring the cheekbones in focus and divert attention from the forehead. Apply it under your eyes too so that all attention is focussed on the center of your face.
- Apply concealer on your chin and the jawline to make that area look broader and balance the face nicely.
- A heart-shaped face is broader and the top and the idea is to take focus away from the forehead. Therefore, you must groom your eyebrows and shape them into a beautiful arch to divert attention from your forehead.
- Eye makeup is very important for people with this face shape. Apply a dark eyeliner and blend it in nicely to create a soft and sexy look. However, do not go overboard with eye makeup otherwise you will end up making your eyes look smaller.
- A heart shaped face has high cheekbones. You should make them appear normal/regular by applying a little blush under the cheek apples.
- Apply vivid and bold lipstick colours because they will make the chin appear wider.
Diamond-shaped Face Makeup Tips
A diamond-shaped face is characterized by a broad centre and therefore your goal should be to add fullness to your forehead and jaw and minimize the centre. Here are some tips:
- Apply bronzing powder at the tip of your forehead (to make the forehead look wider), chin-bottom (to make the jaw appear wider) and under the cheekbones (to visually minimize the area). This will cover the top and bottom tips and make the face appear more oval. Applying bronzing powder on the cheekbones will visually reduce its width and the whole exercise will make the face look oval.
- You should use two foundations — one light and the other dark. Apply light foundation on areas that you want to highlight and apply the darker foundation on areas you want to minimize (see (1) above).
- You must blend foundations and bronzing powder thoroughly.
- Apply a brownish blush on your cheek apples only. Avoid shiny blushes because they will make your cheeks look full.
- Separate your brows to make your forehead and eyes look wider.
- Avoid shiny lipstick and lip gloss because these will make your lips look very wide.
Square Face Makeup Tips
A square face is characterized by a wide jaw and forehead. These are the areas you must focus on. Here are the tips:
- Applying a light foundation on the left and right side of your face while applying blush on your cheekbones can help narrow the wide areas.
- You should apply makeup with rounded strokes and very carefully because you want to make the jawline lose its sharpness.
- A square face has very sharp angle and therefore you must work towards softening them and thereby make your face appear oval.
- Contour your face corners (2 sides of the jaw and 2 sides of the forehead) with a bronzer or dark foundation.
- Apply a highlighter that is one shade lighter than your complexion to the center of your forehead, the tip of your chin and on your cheekbones to draw attention to the center of your face and away from its sides.
- Shape eyebrows into arches so draw attention to the center of your face.
- Apply blush on your cheeks and cheekbones to draw attention to the center of your face.
Featured Image Credit: www.pinterest.com
Powered by Facebook Comments